Wednesday 2 June 2010

Across the Seine

I left Martin-Eglise, near to Dieppe, this morning in fog and dripping rain. This gradually cleared as I followed the river Varennes down to St Saens, to such an extent I was squinting into the sun by 11am. It's a really beautiful route, on quiet roads, with typical Normandy half timbered houses and dairy farms. From there the landscape is plainer, with large hedgeless arable fields.

At Fleury I wanted to continue south on minor roads, but was frustrated by closure signs, with the effect that I was being forced onto the equivalent of a major British two way highway, with artics thundering past threatening my continued existence. So I turned round, and took the closed road, driving round all the no-entry signs. For 2 miles it was effectively an excavated dirt road, with holes and ramps everywhere. But, no problem for a tractor; the guy sweeping the road with a huge machine didn't turn a hair. I refuelled in Les Andelys, and was rather concerned that the tractor had developed a high pitched squeaking sound. I ran through the possibilities: wheel bearing failing (no, too high a frequency); water pump bearing (maybe - should I have checked the greasing again?); worst of all, what about pre-ignition (really? with a compression ratio of 5:1....). After a while, I put my hand on the bonnet. It stopped. I hadn't set the catch properly. Panic over.

Anyway, I eventually reached my destination at Vernon, and finally crossed the Seine in the process, a total distance of 122km, rather more than I had intended, and really too much. Staying at the Hotel Normandy, where they have an underground car park. Good for security I figured. The only problem is that the gradient into the car park, and the inevitable bend, made it impossible to control the tractor on the feeble brakes; also the head height's not much. So I entered this car park accelerating out of control, crouched down to avoid decapitation. Tomorrow's challenge is to get out.

Weather forecast is good though.

1 comment:

  1. Slight ommission here. Whilst reading the Michelin guide (no doubt whilst driving along) the book dropped off the tractor into the path of the many juggernauts thundering by. Now this book is his passport to civilisation. It had to be rescued.Quite how this was achieved was hazy, but the book survived whithout being demolished and tractorman was uncrushed- in everyway!
    The exiles send their apologies they have no internet connection at present but hope to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete