Sunday 13 June 2010

Day 10 - Loire to the Brenne


Left Fleuray, just north of the Loire in cool and overcast weather. Although the Loire itself and its chateaux are undoubtedly beautiful, the surrounding landscape is quite dull, with large hedgeless cereal fields. However, the first small vineyards started to appear - the first since Chilford! - which reinforced the sense of progress. I crossed the Loire at Chaumont and, shortly after, the Cher, close to Montrichard. South through a military zone (no photographs) to Orbigny and Montresor. I stopped at the latter scenic village for coffee and to get warm. Used a bit of "red" road (ie a major highway), the D975, to get around Chatillon, fearing heavy traffic, but there was virtually none. I refulled close to Chatillon and was concerned afterwards to see petrol coursing down the side of the tank and onto the hot exhaust manifold. Luckily it did not ignite, or I think France may have been missing an entire petrol station. The problem was that the fixed screw section of the filler cap had detached, probably through previous rough usage. I fixed the whole lot down with the essential duck (or is it duct?) tape, and pressed on.

Other than this minor problem, it was a good run today, and I have stopped for the night at the Auberge de la Gabriere http://www.auberge-36-gabriere.com/, close to Linge. A couple on push bikes asked me about the trip. He said that only the English would do a thing like this, but in a very complimentary way. Helps to stay alive he said. I felt quite good about that.

The Brenne is beautiful. From my room (photo) the view over the lake was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment