Friday 4 June 2010

Escape from car park- day 6

In the event, the car park was easy. I asked the receptionist to hold the gate open, put in in first gear, kept my head down and drove out. Why did I worry? It was a beautiful morning in Vernon, and I drove in rolling country to the east of Dreux, and then followed the Eure valley towards Chartres. Stopped for lunch at a workmen's place, and ate and drank for 10 Euros. The place held about 30 men at a given time (no women), and everyone was served with incredible efficiency by one lady. As I left, a couple of guys admired the tractor - "magnifique", "bon courage" etc. One did point out that the tyres rotated in the wrong direction - all the better for stopping I said, thinking quickly.

Transnavigatinfg Chartres was a nightmare. In the event, I couldn't avoid using the ring road, and had huge trucks either hammering past, or sitting close behind. Never again.

I'd booked to stay the night some 20km SW of Chartres,a nd eventually reached there about 5.30. I found it odd there was no-one around and, when looking back at my battered Michelin guide was rather horrified to discover it was a restaurant without rooms. Something obviously failed in our communication. I did recall I'd stayed at a place some 12km away earlier in the year, but of course I had no phone number. So, it was back on the tractor for a fast run to Illiers Combray, where I was highly relieved to find a room.

After dinner, I went out for a final look at the tractor, and was a little disturbed to see petrol dripping fast from the carburettor. Luckily, I was assisted in the study of the problem my a fellow guest who pontificated on the likely causes while leaning over it with his lighted cheroot. We agreed it was the chaleur. I believe it was also the cause of Tuesday's difficult starting and subsequent cut-out. I suspect I blocked the air hole in the tank filler cap when I sealed the rusty interior with epoxy paint. So now the cap stays loose.

Tomorrow it's Oucques, which will not be as far as today (130km = 75 miles) which was too much

1 comment:

  1. It would be a way to go; pontificating with fellow Ferguson enthusiast and lighted cheroot...

    ReplyDelete