Saturday 5 June 2010

Saturday - cruise control


Leaving the excellent Hotel du Commerce in Oucques this morning, I refuelled at a small petrol on the edge of the town. There was only one pump and the owner, M Aubrey, was enhusiastic about the tractor. He told me that many Fergusons (and Fords) were imported to France after WW2 to work on the reconstruction of the country. I asked if there are still many around, but he thought not now. Overall, I've had probably half a dozen people tell me that their dad or other relative used to have one. Probably reflects the continued strong community connection to farming, in this part of France at least.


I plotted a route down to Fleuray, near Amboise, using almost entirely very small roads. Although the landscape leading on towards the Loire is quite flat, it was a pleasant journey with almost no traffic. In the early part of the day it was pleasantly warm, though by midday it was only by keeping moving (at 18km/h...) that I stayed cool. I reckon it must have hit over 30C, and also some cloud was building up. I reached Fleuray at about 1.30, and was pleased to be able to sit out with a couple of beers.


The tractor speed control now operates very differently, M Sires' fairly brutal bending having removed the friction on the throttle mechanism. If I set the speed, and it's quite sensitive, it will hold that speed up modest hills. Obviously a precursor of modern cruise control. However, as I explained yesterday, it is wildly unstable on a sudden change of speed, eg on starting off, but I can try to live with that.


It was my shortest run today - only 50km -so I shall need to be a bit more ambitious from Monday on. I'm taking a day off tomorrow, savouring the prospect of a late breakfast and not having to get kitted up to sit on a tractor for several hours. I tell myself I've earned it; I've travelled 390km in France, making it 670km since setting off last Saturday morning. Must be close to halfway!


Finally I' ve succeeded in posting the picture of yesterday's encounter with my new friend and his wife on their tandem. I mailed the pictures to him last night, and now have the additional information that his name is Phil and he was in the French navy. I may or, may not have mentioned that he is a keen radio ham, but I now have his call sign too.

14 comments:

  1. Knowing of all yesterdays problems, I have been chewing my fingernails for the past two hours waiting for a call to say tractor man was not under a juggernaut, or brakeless in the ditch! I should have realised....in France one does not hurry, worry, and after a lesurly dinner,(possibly a glass or two)I am remembered! I am blaming it on the heat, but I have a sneaking suspicion he's now enjoying it. A day off tomorrow means that I can have a stressless day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic progress! I meant to say that I thought the wheels/tyres were on the wrong way round when I took the photo in Newhaven! Might explain soem of the hysteresis issue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress Pa, It does sound as though you are starting to enjoy it now - I suspect the weather helps - fascinating also to find out about French history and connections with the tractor. Elle has worked out that a hare would be able to go faster than the tractor at top speed - feel free to test her theory. Have a lovely day off, we will follow your progress with interest....

    ReplyDelete
  4. More photos please. A man of your infinite resource and sagacity ought to be able to set the timer on the camera or accost strangers to aid you.

    I hope that your day of relaxation is lovely. And you carry on enjoying it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Grampy, Daddy is in Egypt. Don't tickle me! When can we have a ride on your tractor again? Love from Cleo
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took dictation from Cleo earlier today, but have only just worked out how to post comments.

    Hope you're enjoying a well-earned rest day - must be good to have a break from the vibrations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Grampy, I hope you're nearly there. I've had a lovely half term, we went to Mundesley and Bewilderwood. I love you very much, love from Mia
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monday sees tractor man without power to communicate, and possibly Tuesday too, But he is delighted I am now the French side of La manche and he is getting closer to me not further away.He has had a few ( actually fairly hairy) fuel problems, but is set fair (storms permitting)for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only just worked out how to post comments... Mum told me about the petrol station/fuel tank/hot engine incident - look forward to photos of that and the trek across the French countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re Cruise control: I really like that idea. Please no more comments until patented. Maybe at the next garage you can get the steering linkage changed to electric - then we are drive by wire and your journey will not be in vain.
    N'oubliez pas : conserver à droite

    keep going - Gordon and Nikki and all at Scutchers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Update in view of no internet connections; which have not been available since Sunday.
    Location at 5.00pm Tuesday; Cieux just north of Limoge. Stoppped for the night at a B & B. Seemed cheerful and upbeat in spite of something about petrol leaking from the tank onto a hot engine! eeek! Current desire to beat it as fast as possible to Saillagol
    Comment from tractorman; Both me and the tractor are a bit frayed round the edges.
    Today in Saillagol we have had torrents of rain all day. Did try to text, but no reply; Might have been a soggy day?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still no internet- a problem I have faced on and off all day- rain does funny things to the communications system in France! However after a sleepless night listening to the rain thundering down, he set off in light showers, (with no brakes) and later weak sunshine(and the brakes dried out). but midi bought torrential rain. With typical tractorman determination, perhaps that should read recklessness he continued in the deluge, and did a staggering 120km. A dripping tractorman told me he had a ??!!!! day.(Totally unprintable) I was told this morning by a new friend that this is what he would do.
    He is at present at a beautiful place in the village of Seconzac, (all you francofiles take note- he aims to take me back) 30km north west of Brive. Gleefully saying it is 110 miles as the crow flies. (There has been a sneaking suspiscion that he has been driving from airport (or train station)to airport just in case. And there was a vague longing to be able to fly here!
    Tomorrow promises to be much of the same and if so he is not going to go so far. There is only so much misery one can take after all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tractorman should slow down and enjoy what's left of the journey. It will be gone much too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The day has been hell with internet dropping in and out amidst huge thunderstorms which I understand tractorman has also experienced. In fact everything from brilliant sunshine to torrential rain. Difficult to dress for that on a tractor! He has arrived at Carennac, on the southern shores of the Dordogne in a place that is fanatical about tractors. Constantly being told his tyres on on the wrong way round, and that he is a mad englishman. Only ze inglish would do ziss! The tractor is happily parked next to a Massey Ferguson, Still out of internet connection, although he did spend some time in the cubby hole of an office checking his e mail with the secretary, but thought any longer might look suspicious. Tommorrow I hope to meet up with him at Sauliac sur Sele. And Saturday......who knows!

    ReplyDelete